[Samba] strange browsing problem w/ Samba 3.0 - I am lost

Klaus K. k067zaaf at unet.univie.ac.at
Sat Jul 10 21:56:57 GMT 2004

"John H Terpstra" <jht at samba.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2gwXi-7gE-1 at gated-at.bofh.it...
> On Saturday 10 July 2004 10:34, Klaus A. Kreil wrote:
> > Hi Collen,
> > thanks for your answer.
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ> wrote:
> > > try this:
> > >
> > > name resolve order = wins bcast host
> >
> > tried - but did not change anything. Still all machines except server are
> > available/visible for browsing. Also included W2K system into the domain
> > to figure out whether clients might be the problem - to no avail: same
> > result (i.e. server not visible), W2K client is. BTW XP is german version,
> > W2K is English version - so I assume I can also safely rule out a language
> > issue on the client's side.
> >
> > > also did you make sure, that you filled in the wins server adress on
> > > your win boxes ??
> >
> > clients get their IP settings via DHCP and DHCP distributes the WINS
> > address 192.168.xx.1 correctly. Output from ipconfig /all:
> >     primary WINS server points to samba server with a numerical IP
> > I have not attached this output as I use German versions for clients and
> > that would probably not help you (at least I assume so - sorry if I
> > underestimated your language skills).
>
> What entries do you have in your dhcpd.conf file for WINS support?
> Do you have "option netbios-node-type 8;"?
>
> - John T.
John,
many thanks for your reply.

I have tried your suggestion of adding "option netbios-node-type 8;" (which was not in originally) but that did not change anything. Yes, I have restarted dhcpd after changing the option.

I have also added "option netbios-dd-server 192.168.xx.1" as suggested somewhere else when trying to figure out what your option would do - still no change.

My dhcpd.conf (now) looks like the one below. Over and above this there are specific host entries for some machines assigning fixed IP addresses based upon MAC addresses. Those addresses are in the range 16 to 63; 64 to 95 is reserved for other IP devices like printers; 1 to 15 are for servers, routers, gateways, etc. No, the network is not that big, but I want to have things in order and allow room for extension if required.

==============
option domain-name "workgroup.home";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.xx.1;
default-lease-time 86400;
max-lease-time 604800;

ddns-update-style none;
ddns-updates off;

authoritative;

subnet 192.168.xx.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option broadcast-address 192.168.xx.255;
        option routers 192.168.xx.1;
        option netbios-name-servers 192.168.xx.1;
        option netbios-dd-server 192.168.xx.1;
        option netbios-node-type 8;
        option time-servers 192.168.xx.1;
        option pop-server 192.168.xx.1;
        option smtp-server 192.168.xx.1;
        range 192.168.xx.96 192.168.xx.127;
}

Your suggested netbios-node-type 8 seems to arrive at an H-Type WINS server/client and according to M$ this would be the default for NT, W2K and XP anyway.

Nevertheless many thanks for your try - I am currently hopeing that any suggestion might lead to a working configuration. If you have any other ideas, please post those as well.

I assume there must be a (hopefully minor) issue somewhere which I am not able to figure out.

Regards,

Klaus

P.S. Your "Official Samba-3 Howto and Reference Guide" is an excellent source for reading.