[Samba] strange browsing problem w/ Samba 3.0 - I am lost

Klaus A. Kreil klaus.kreil at univie.ac.at
Sat Jul 10 16:34:18 GMT 2004

Hi Collen,
thanks for your answer.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Collen Blijenberg <MLHJ> wrote:

> try this:
>
> name resolve order = wins bcast host
tried - but did not change anything. Still all machines except server are
available/visible for browsing. Also included W2K system into the domain
to figure out whether clients might be the problem - to no avail: same
result (i.e. server not visible), W2K client is. BTW XP is german version,
W2K is English version - so I assume I can also safely rule out a language
issue on the client's side.

> also did you make sure, that you filled in the wins server adress on
> your win boxes ??
clients get their IP settings via DHCP and DHCP distributes the WINS
address 192.168.xx.1 correctly. Output from ipconfig /all:
    primary WINS server points to samba server with a numerical IP
I have not attached this output as I use German versions for clients and
that would probably not help you (at least I assume so - sorry if I
underestimated your language skills).

> it's something with the master browser, look at the log files, there
> might be some info there (if not try a higher log level)
nothing to strange for me - although admittedly I am not the big Samba
expert. What exactly would I need to look out for? If the log level is
very high (i.e. 9) it generates thoiusands of lines within seconds.

> Have Fun
Not much fun at the moment, but thanks nevertheless and I will keep
trying to hav fun anyway.

Regards,

Klaus