[Samba] Samba doesn't ask for a password

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 10 03:05:58 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 12:52, Tim Tait wrote:
> Udo wrote:
>
> >and I can see and edit the files of this users' home directory on the Linux
> >(Samba) server. I can even open \\vovo\horst, which is the other users'
> >home, but read-only in that case. But I need samba to ask for a password,
> >

> I had the same problem. You need to add a path statement to the [homes]
> share: "path = /home/%U" for example. That forces it to be the directory
> of the logged in user (%U).

This is really bad advise.  If you want to restrict access to home
directories, they appropriate syntax is:

[homes]
	valid users = %S

Once a user is correctly authenticated with 'user level' security, it is
not possible for Samba to force re-authentication, only access control.

If you set 'security=share' (and accept the consequences that imposes)
then passwords are required per-share, which may be closer to what is
wanted here.

Andrew Bartlett