[Samba] XP Pro is fast and XP Home is slow

Andrew Gaffney agaffney at skylineaero.com
Sat Jul 10 01:16:35 GMT 2004

I run a small network with 3 computers: 2 XP Home, 1 XP Pro. All 3 run a program
called PCLaw that access a bunch of different databases on a Slackware server
running Samba. I was running Samba 2.2.4 earlier I just upgraded to 3.0.4. Even
with the upgrade, the XP Pro machine is nice and fast when accessing and
manipulating the databases. Both of the XP Home machines are very, very slow.
They are all on a 100base-T network hooked to the same router. They are all
running the same version of the PCLaw application. Can anyone think of any ideas
why the Pro box would be speedy and the Home boxes not? One of the XP Home boxes
has a 2.4GHz P4 processor, so that is not the problem.

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator