[Samba] How can Windows 2000 mount a share as a service?

Malcolm Baldridge google at paypc.com
Sat Jul 10 00:11:59 GMT 2004

I've asked every M$ expert I know, trolled through M$ TechNet, experimented
with SRVANY/INSTSRV login scripts which hard-code username/passwords to
login to a Samba 2.2.8a SMB server.  I've experiment with and without the
"Allow service to interact with Desktop" switch turned on.

I am stuck. :(   I can find no way to mount a share as a service, so that
IIS can serve web-pages from a shared content directed located on a network
drive.

When I run my login script when I'm logged in as the Administrator or
another user, the script works fine.  The share's mounted and available as
the specified drive letter specified in the script.

I'm using just the standard "net use" as follows:

net use z: \\192.168.0.1\Web mypassword /user:webuser

I've fiddled with adding a domain name to the user, to no avail. I've
experimented with using the samba server's "Netbios" name as well as DNS
name, to no avail.

The script only seems to work when SOMEONE is logged into the machine.  When
it's run as a service, no dice.  It just fails with a single digit error
code (5, I think).  The error is opaque and non-descriptive.  It's as if SMB
mounting was specifically prohibited by the OS at some internal bowel juncture.

This is insane.  Surely, people running web-server clusters behind load
balancers don't manually synchronise their content!  My web application
accepts user-uploaded files, so I can't use the "manual resync" method
anyway.  The upload area needs to be shared by all web-server members.

There must be a solution for this very common requirement.  I don't want or
need a "SAN" block-device-level solution, I want a file-level solution.

If anyone can share some ideas or experise, I would be very grateful.  This
must be a solved problem somewhere.

=MB=