[Samba] strange browsing problem w/ Samba 3.0 - I am lost

Klaus K. k067zaaf at unet.univie.ac.at
Fri Jul 9 23:04:29 GMT 2004

Hallo Samba experts out there,
I do have a very strange problem with Samba 3.0.4-1.12 on SuSE 9.1 (kernel
2.6.5-7.75-smp)

Samba is configured as a PDC and WINS server. DNS (bind 9) also works
correctly on the linux box (acting as a forwarder to the ISP's DNS
servers) -
foward and reverse lookups work flawlessly from the box and from XP clients.

When browsing the network neigbourhood from XP clients (XP Pro, SP 1,
all security patches) all available XP clients of the domain show up, only
the Samba Server (which - as indicated above - acts as the WINS Server)
is missing and it does also not appear after some time.

The file browser.dat (on linux) however includes the samba server as well as
all other (XP) computers belonging to the domain.

Strangely enough it IS POSSIBLE to mount shares on the samba box if the
syntax
net use \\server\share is used from XP. Even a search for the server with
XP's
"find computers" dialogue box works flawlessly and quick. The results even
indicates
that the server should be located within the domain - even though it is
still not there
(i.e. not visible) after the search.

At the moment I am clueless and would appreciate any hints / ideas.
Searching with
google and within the groups did not reveal any results.

I am sure there's some expert out there who is able to help.

Thanks in advance,

Klaus

Below please do find my smb.conf file for your reference:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = XEON
browseable = Yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
add group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
logon script = scripts/logon.bat

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
logon drive = Z:
logon home = \\%L\%U
domain logons = Yes
os level = 65
preferred master = Yes
local master = Yes
domain master = Yes
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000

server string = Samba server
interfaces = eth1 lo
bind interfaces only = Yes
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_KEEPALIVE
security = user
encrypt passwords = Yes
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
hosts allow = 192.168.xx.

map to guest = Bad User
guest account = nobody
wins support = Yes
time server = Yes
log level = 0
syslog = 0
name resolve order = wins host
utmp = Yes
store dos attributes = Yes

[netlogon]
comment = Samba network logon share
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
read only = Yes
write list = ntadmin
share modes = no

[homes]
preexec = sh -c '/etc/samba/login.msg %u %m' &
comment = Home Directories
path = /home/%S/Documents
valid users = %S
browseable = No