[Samba] Is there a way to allow empty user (NULL) to connect to samba3 as nobody/guest from W2K/XP workstations?

Vlad Borisoff vlad at microchip.ru
Fri Jul 9 14:58:44 GMT 2004

Hello Gerald,

Currently only guest logins work, anonymous work only from UNIX
clients i.e. both cmds work ok:
smbclient //server/share -U%
smbclient //server/share -N

But, W2k clients can't login just by pressing OK button in login
prompts (empty user, empty pass) - only by specifying nobody or guest
as username.

> 'map to guest = bad user' doesn't do what you want ?
Not quite. Currently I use it as as workaround, but in this case samba
doesn't ask for a password - it just compares with currently logged in
user credentials on Windows workstation and if user is unknown maps it
to  guest. But I need it to ask for a password if user credentials are
not  valid  and to accept empty user (with empty pass) mapping it to a
guest user.
--
Thanks,
Vlad Borisoff