[Samba] Printer driver: different options with samba

gilles.massen at restena.lu gilles.massen at restena.lu
Fri Jul 9 12:20:07 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,

I was wondering about the behaviour of printer drivers, in relation with
Samba. The printer is installed, printing on Samba goes via lprng, and
Windows printer drivers are installed on the Samba server. On the other
hand I have an NT4 server with the same drivers (same version) printing to
the same printer over the same protocol (LPD). (BTW, the printer is an HP
Laserjet 4200, in case it matters).

Now what is weird is that not all options that I have when printing via
the NT4 server appear when I print over Samba (e.g. "Multiple pages per
sheet" is missing). Same behavior with PCL or PS drivers.

Does anyone know where this comes from? Who/what makes the difference
between the servers, if the driver is the same? Do I have to live with it?

While I found related questions on the mailing list, I failed to see an
answer on the issue. If I'm wrong, any pointer to related readings are
most welcome....

Best,
Gilles

--