[Samba] Windows users can create files but Linux users can not?

Jacob Friis Larsen jfl at list.idg.dk
Fri Jul 9 11:45:22 GMT 2004

john.nelson at teradyne.com wrote:
>>I have a Samba server running on a Fedora Core 1 Linux server, and my
>>problem is that Windows users can create files but Linux users can not.

This is my smb.conf file on the Samba server:

>>[global]
>>        workgroup = IDG_DK
>>        server string = WebDev
>>        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>>        max log size = 50
>>
>>[jfl]
>>        path = /var/www/websites/jfl
>>        valid users = jfl
>>        read only = No
>

> I'm confused by your question.  Did you leave out part of the smb.conf
> file?  Did you leave out part of the question?

No.

> Given the information
> you've given, user "jfl" should have read-write access to \\webdev\jfl,
> and no one else should have any access.  This is true whether you are
> connecting from a Windows system or another Linux system.

I can read and change files, but not create new files or dirs.

> I'm not sure in what context "Linux users" cannot create files.  ARe you
> using smbfs or cifs to connect from one Linux system to another?  Is the
> connection being made as user "jfl"?  Are the smbfs/cifs parameters set up
> right?

I am using smbfs. I connect via /etc/fstab like this:
//fedora.idg.dk/jfl    /mnt/jfl        smbfs   username=jfl,password=xxx
    0   0

> Or are you saying that Linux users logged on to this system cannot create
> files in /var/www/websites/jfl?  If so, that sounds like a matter of
> filesystem permissions.

If I login to the server via ssh as jfl I can create files and dirs.
When I try via the share i get "Access denied to /mnt/jfl/test"

This is my smb.conf on my Linux client:
[global]
         workgroup = IDG_DK
         server string = %h server (Samba %v)
         obey pam restrictions = Yes
         passdb backend = tdbsam, guest
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
         syslog = 0
         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
         max log size = 1000