[Samba] best filesystem choice for samba (was: new user cannotlogon)

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Fri Jul 9 08:34:55 GMT 2004

Hi,
i have running ext3 with quota lvm acl support and samba,
with no problems on suse 9 , but i dont have trillards of files or files
bigger than 2G to test.
The Story seems to be that filesystems arent implemented same good on
every distro / kernels, so i was not able to implement xfs and samba on
suse 9 , but i know this works with debian sarge ( cant remember the
kernel ) . I have a few share partitions with reiserfs and acl which
works very nice with suse 9.
Suse 9.1 seems to have major Problems with xfs.
( suse 9.1 is not a big shoot, you should only use it for needing kernel
  2.2.6 features )
So i recommend to use ext3 as the best deal ( maybe dont i special
cases, ie. large shares with millions of files here xfs is the better one )
VFAT is a simply outdated system, as the only thing which may make you
happy that you can mount it under any win system, this might be helpfull
on small portable usb/firewire storages which can be used for backup in
smaller filestores with samba.
Best Regards