[Samba] UID for CIFS mounts

Chris Jensen cjensen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 03:30:32 GMT 2004

Hi,
Appologies if this is obvious, but the documentation isn't clear to
me, and my google skills don't seem to be up tp scratch today.

Basically:
If I mount a CIFS share as on a linux box, and then multiple users on
that machine use that share, who do they use it as? The user that
mounted or themselves (users are authenticated via pam + winbind on
the linux box)

Is it possible to have them all authenticated as them selves?

We want to have users logging in via SSH and then accessing files on a
Windows 2000 server. It's not clear to me how this would be
accomplished from the docs, as a user name is supplied when mounting
the share, how could the Windows 2000 server then trust the linux box
that the user accessing it is really a different user and not the one
who mounted it?

Does the user that mounts the share have to be a powerful user to
achieve this? Or could a guest or anonymous user mount the share since
the user permissions should be coming from those users that are
actually accessing the files.

Thanks for any help
Chris