[Samba] Samba Mount ignoring username

Max Kipness max at kipness.com
Fri Jul 9 03:21:02 GMT 2004

>Max Kipness wrote:
>| Hello -
>|
>| When trying to create a mount to an XP workstation I continue to get
>| ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied). When I turned on
>logging on the
>| XP workstation I discovered that it's logging a failed login attempt
>| by ROOT, and also using the default workgroup name that is
>entered in
>| the smb.conf file.
>| Basically it is ignoring the paremeters that I'm entering
>with the mount
>| command. The following command is what I'm using
>|
>| mount -t smbfs -o user=administrator,password=xxxxxx
>//10.0.100.72/c$
>| /sharefolder
>|
>| This is the local administrator user to the workstation.
>|
>| Here is what is logging on the XP workstation:
>|
>| Logon Failure:
>|
>| Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
>| Username: ROOT
>| Domain: mygroup
>| etc, etc.
>|
>| Can anyone offer some help on this one? Why is it ignoring my user
>| statement, I'm I typing it wrong?
>|
>| Thanks,
>| Max
>|

>i don't know about user option, i normaly use
>"username=administrator,..." you should try it.

Thanks. You were right. I don't know how I missed that.

Now, I'm able to map the $c drive of one XP workstation that is joined
to a domain by using:

username="domainname\username"

But I'm not able to map any shares to an XP workstation that is just a
member of a workgroup. I've tried the following:

username="username"
username="computername\username"
username="username",workgroup="computername"

I get access denied from all of them.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Max