[Samba] Samba doesn't ask for a password

Udo udop at hotup.com.br
Thu Jul 8 21:53:41 GMT 2004

Hi,

I installed Samba 3.0.2a (on Mandrake 10.0). I created 2 users on the Linux
box, which I "converted" to Samba users (using de Webmin interface). The
Samba server is running.
On a Win98 I log in (log in the win98 box -- no domain set, only workgroup!)
using one of the users I created. I do not use any password, neither is
Win98 configured to verify any passwords. I simply type in a username, no
password. It's that old simple network login window.
Well, now I open \\vovo\udo (the user I used to log in to the win98 machine)
and I can see and edit the files of this users' home directory on the Linux
(Samba) server. I can even open \\vovo\horst, which is the other users'
home, but read-only in that case. But I need samba to ask for a password,
which it never did. I deleted de .pwl files on the windows machine and got
the same behavior.

How do I tell Samba to ask for the users' password to connect to one users'
home? After reading the docs I googled for a long time now, and haven't
found anything that helped me to solve this. Actually, the way I undestood
the docs, it should be pretty simple to do this, but I simply can't figure
it out!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Btw, below is my smb.conf. It may be a little messed up now, 'cause I
already tried a lot of different options.

udo
#---------------------------------------------------------
[global]
        workgroup = HOTUP
        server string = Samba Server %v
        log level = 4
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = cups
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        printer admin = @adm
        printing = cups

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer drivers.
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm, root
        inherit permissions = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[pdf-generator]
        comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m
%I "%J" &

[publico]
        path = /public
        read only = No