[Samba] Can't upload driver for point 'n' print (or even bring up the properties window)

Kyle Miller kylejunk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 20:47:57 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm using samba 3.0.3 from the Fedora Core 2 updates 3.0.3-5 rpm, and
have configured a simple printer that will generate PDFs for me. I'm
following the HOWTO, trying to setup my printer so that my users can
use point 'n' print, but having no luck uploading the driver to the
printer.

Using the add printer wizard and manually configuring the print
driver, I CAN print to it successfully. It is just the uploading of
the driver that I can't seem to make work. I have tried from both an
XP Pro and 2K Server client

The HOWTO says I should browse to the samba server's "printers" (or
printers & faxes on XP) share, then right-click the printer and select
properties, which should result in the error message "Device settings
cannot be displayed. The driver for the specified printer is not
installed, only spooler properties will be displayed. Do you want to
install the driver now?" -- Instead, I get this message:

"Printer properties cannot be displayed. The operation could not be
completed".  It has an OK box, which just dismisses the error, that's
it.

smbstatus shows that I am connected as a user that should be able to
do this (tried both as root and the printer admin)

Since I can't get to the properties window, I can't upload the driver.
Does anyone know why this would be happening? I searched around the
web and this list, and saw some other instances of this problem, but
never a solution.

My smb.conf is below, maybe I've set something up wrong?

I really appreciate any help that you might be able to provide.

Thanks,

Kyle

-------
config file:
-------

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2004/07/07 14:28:10

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        netbios name = KYLESMB
        server string = Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No
        printer admin = kyle
        show add printer wizard = Yes
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[print$]
        comment = Print Driver Auto-Download
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        write list = root
        read only = Yes
        browseable = No
        guest ok = No
[newpdf]
        comment = PDF Mailer
        path = /tmp
        printable = Yes
        printing = bsd
        browseable = Yes
        guest ok = No
        read only = Yes
        print command = /usr/bin/makeauthpdf %s %U 2>&1 > /tmp/out.txt