[Samba] best filesystem choice for samba (was: new user cannot logon)

Rashkae rashkae at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jul 8 16:13:32 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 09:26:23AM -0400, Adam Tauno WIlliams wrote:

> > I need quotas and would like acls, but most of all want a fast reliable
> > system.
>
> Sounds like XFS.
>
> > Reports indicate that ext2/3 is particularly slow, especially for long file
> > listings and many people
>
> Yep,  also seems to get slower over time and just generally slower when
> it starts to get past 50% full.
>
> > complain have corruption issues with reiser (nut
> > maybe that's RedHat only).
>
> Reiserfs, ick!  I'd want a raise before I used that,  many horror
> stories.

I can find horror stories for just about anything, it doesn't mean
much.  Reiserfs is perfectly stable, well supported and provides
excellent performance.  If you want quotas and ACLS, then yes, XFS is
the way to go.... However, if you want a filesystem that can do what
none other can in regards to huge numbers of small files, ReiserFS is
the best choice, at the expense of CPU time.

If you prefer unparalled support and long tested stability, then EXT3
is a good choice.  It's worth noting that EXT3 is the only FS above
that can journal data as well as meta data.  (Arguably, this feature
likely isn't as useful as one would think, but it's worth considering)