[Samba] best filesystem choice for samba (was: new user cannotlogon)

Mark Lidstone mlidstone at bmtseatech.co.uk
Thu Jul 8 13:19:51 GMT 2004

ARGH!  I'm wondering if airing thoughts about VFAT performance publicly
was a good idea.

I was only interested from a technical point of view - I would NOT
recommend using it on a production server unless there happened to be a
real case for using it.

The biggest thing to bear in mind in your case is that VFAT does NOT
support ACLs or disk quotas.  It also doesn't support journalling and it
also has some strange case-sensitivity behaviour.

At the risk of sending someone else off on completely the wrong track,
how about we write ourselves our own FS specifically to give the best
possible performance for Samba?  ;)

Mark Lidstone
IT and Network Support Administrator

BMT SeaTech Ltd
Grove House, Meridians Cross, 7 Ocean Way
Ocean Village, Southampton.  SO14 3TJ. UK
Tel: +44 (0)23 8063 5122
Fax: +44 (0)23 8063 5144

E-Mail:  mailto:mark.lidstone at bmtseatech.co.uk
Website: www.bmtseatech.co.uk
==
Confidentiality Notice and Disclaimer:
The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended only for
the
use of the e-mail addressee(s) shown. If you are not that person, or one
of those persons, you are not allowed to take any action based upon it
or
to copy it, forward, distribute or disclose the contents of it and you
should please delete it from your system. BMT SeaTech Limited does not
accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this
e-mail
or its attachments which arise as a result of Internet transmission, nor
accept liability for statements which are those of the author and not
clearly made on behalf of BMT SeaTech Limited.
==