Re. : [Samba] best filesystem choice for samba (was: new user cannot logon)

stephane.purnelle at corman.be stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Thu Jul 8 13:14:54 GMT 2004

Hi,

My Samba server is a PDc and file server.
I use XFS for data with ACL and data & OS are on a RAID 5 structure disk.

No problem for speed acces.

      Stéphane Purnelle

-----------------------------------
Stéphane PURNELLE                         stephane.purnelle at corman.be
Service Informatique       Corman S.A.           Tel : 00 32 087/342467

|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
|         |           "Simon Oliver" <s.oliver at umist.ac.uk>         |
|         |           Envoyé par :                                  |
|         |           samba-bounces+stephane.purnelle=corman.be at list|
|         |           s.samba.org                                   |
|         |                                                         |
|         |                                                         |
|         |           08/07/2004 15:05                              |
|         |                                                         |
|---------+--------------------------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                               |
  |        Pour :   <samba at lists.samba.org>                                                       |
  |        cc :                                                                                   |
  |        Objet :  [Samba] best filesystem choice for samba (was: new user cannot    logon)      |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am setting up a Samba server and am uncertain as to which filesystem to
choose.

The consensus seems to be XFS but I'm not sure how proven this filesystem
is
(I know SGI have used it since Irix 6.5 but that's a different OS).

I want the filesystem to be available via both CIFS and NFS.

I need quotas and would like acls, but most of all want a fast reliable
system.

Reports indicate that ext2/3 is particularly slow, especially for long file
listings and many people complain have corruption issues with reiser (nut
maybe that's RedHat only).  Recently, someone even suggested using VFAT!

I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences with the various
filesystems,
especially with regard to using them with Samba and/or NFS.

P.s. The filesystem will be on hardware RAID5, with a hardware RAID1 root
filesystem.  I've heard that it makes sense to place the log file on the
RAID1 partition - I carried out some simple tests but couldn't detect any
difference in performance with XFS no matter where the log file is.

--
  Simon Oliver