[Samba] Windows 2K outperform Linux/Samba very much?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jul 8 09:35:02 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 19:26, Jacky Kim wrote:
> >> Sorry, I miss the follow informations:
> >> 1. There are 100,000 files in shared directory.
> >
> >That's the problem. Because Samba has to present a case insensitive
> >view of a case-sensitive filesystem we have to scan the entire
> >directory to ensure a file doesn't exist.
> >
> >The answer to the "why is Samba slow" question in this case is
> >"don't do that" (put 100,000 files in a directory).
>
> I trid 20,000 files in a directory too, and found the same result:
> Windows's share is about 10 times faster than Linux/samba's one
> when get small file's property(NOT content).

Correct.  Finding any detail about a case insensitive filename on a case
sensitive filesystem is a *real pain*.  This is because the only way to
find that filename is to read the entire directory, and compare all the
names.  The price is paid per file lookup, and reading the data costs no
more.

Andrew Bartlett