[Samba] Windows XP Home problems

Sean Hendricks sharaya at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 8 03:11:11 GMT 2004

Ok, I'll respond to both responses from Mark and David.

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 03:16, Mark Lidstone wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Try typing in the IP address of the samba machine instead of the name.
> E.g. "\\192.168.0.1\sharename".  If that works, then you'll know it's a
> problem with name resolution rather than anything else.  I notice that
> you have your Samba box setup as a WINS server, but have you remembered
> to tell your Windows XP machine that there's a WINS server available?

I tried using the IP address, but I still get an error message saying
that the network path cannot be found.  As far as I know, the XP machine
knows that there's a WINS server available at that IP address.

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 03:49, David Morel wrote:
> Le mer 07/07/2004 à 03:06, Sean Hendricks a écrit :
> > Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, as it's quite
> > frustrating.  Why would I be able to access the XP machine, but not the
> > other way around?
>
> Use the logs on the linux box, they'll tell you what's wrong. Increase
> the log level as needed.

I've got it set to log level 3, and when I try to connect from the XP
machine, the log file doesn't register anything at all.  Which is
probably revealing in and of itself.

What I find so odd is that the network browser on the XP machine can
locate the Linux box, and recognizes it as being part of the same
workgroup, but then it finds no network path to it.  I can connect to
the FTP, Telnet and HTTP servers on the linux machine from the XP
machine with no problem.  I suspect that there's some problem with
authentication, but the username and password is registered in
smbpasswd, and I've checked it a few times, making sure that the correct
password is assigned.

Are there permissions on the share that need to be altered, do you
think?

Thanks for working with me on this.

Sean