[Samba] upgrading from samba-3.0.3-5 to samba-3.0.4-1 on mini-itx

Paul Farrow samba at farrowcomputing.com
Wed Jul 7 22:24:48 GMT 2004

Firstly I am new to this list but have used samba for years on various
flavours of redhat with great results until now.

I have recently upgraded my mini-itx v8000 from redhat 9 to fedora core
2.  Samba is fine except there now appears to be no smbmount / unable to
mount with fstab type of smbfs to mount the windows shares.

Looking at the version the fedora distribution installed (3.0.3-5) I
thought I would upgrade to samba 3.0.4-2.  Which I downloaded the source
built the rpm and then tried to install and got various dependency
errors all seemed to be telling me that I dont have samba 3.0.3, looked
for various binaries / source for the straight 3.0.3 and cant find
anything.

I then decided to try the 3.0.4-1.i386.rpm and got the following error

/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory   [I
guess this isnt a real problem]
error: Failed dependencies:
 libcom_err.so.3 is needed by samba-3.0.4-1
 samba-common >= 3.0.0 is needed by (installed) gnome-vfs2-smb-2.6.0-8

any ideas please as I dont normally get errors like this from
distributions !!!

Any help appreciated, I have posted on the fedora mailing list also but
to no avail.

Cheers

Paul Farrow