[Samba] Help with long PC names and AIX

Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jul 7 21:19:02 GMT 2004

lars at thornwood.com wrote:
> OK I am new to Samba.

> I need a solution for a problem of long PC names and short AIX names.

> How do I work around this issue?

  This might not work on AIX, but it does for me on a Digital Unix 4.0D
'PDC' I run.
  In DU's case it's only the 'useradd' command that is limited to 8
characters in a username. You can plug a longer name into /etc/password
and every thing else works fine...

  So to add a machine to the domain, I ssh into the Unix machine, run
vipw, MANUALLY add the machine's name to the password file, save/exit,
manually run smbpasswd -am and then go back to windows and 'join the
domain'.