[Samba] SAMBA and NFS

henrique paiva paivahenrique at terra.com.br
Wed Jul 7 21:16:23 GMT 2004

I think you won't have a performance problem. i have a DELL P4 2.8 with
256 ram rinning samba+rsync+heartbeat+nfs and 20 clients. everything is ok.

bastard operater wrote:
| Thank you for the response.  Would there still be a performance problem
| if I had two NICs in the PC?  One to connect to the NFS share and the
| second NIC to connect to the windows PCs?  I am talking about a maximum
| of 20 people connecting to the samba share with at most 5-6 people
| passing data over the share.  The samba server would be a 2.2GHz PC with
| 512MB of RAM.
|
| Thanks,
|
| BOFH1234
|
|> From: "Eric Boehm" <boehm at nortelnetworks.com>
|> To: bastard operater <bofh1234 at hotmail.com>
|> CC: samba at lists.samba.org
|> Subject: Re: [Samba] SAMBA and NFS
|> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:35:28 -0400

|>     BOFH1234> Can samba connect to an NFS share and then re-export
|>     BOFH1234> that share so my windows XP users can connect to it?
|>     BOFH1234> Basically I have a NFS share that all of my windows XP
|>     BOFH1234> users need read-only access to.  The goal of this
|>     BOFH1234> project is to replace an old MS Gateway Services for
|>     BOFH1234> Novell server (using IPX) with something that can do the
|>     BOFH1234> same thing but over IP.  I am pretty sure Novell and AD
|>     BOFH1234> can share files using Native File Access, but that would
|>     BOFH1234> require the Novell admins to get CIFS setup on the
|>     BOFH1234> Novell side.  The Novell server we are using has NFS
|>     BOFH1234> already setup and getting that much setup was like
|>     BOFH1234> pulling teeth.
|>
|> Samba can share any filesystem that the Samba server can see. Your
|> performance will be degraded because you have the dual overhead of
|> Samba and NFS, but you can share the filesystem.
|>
|> --
|> Eric M. Boehm                  /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
|> boehm at nortelnetworks.com       \ /  No HTML or RTF in mail
|>                                 X   No proprietary word-processing
|> Respect Open Standards         / \  files in mail

| Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
| Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx

- --
~    |          henrique paiva           |
~    | email: paivahenrique at terra.com.br |
~    |          icq: 320094827           |
Este email foi assinado pelo Gnupg http://www.gnupg.com e
~ Mozilla Thunderbird Enigmail http://enigmail.mozdev.org
Solicite minha chave pública.