[Samba] Profiles

Miles Scruggs miles.scruggs at garnetws.com
Wed Jul 7 18:33:41 GMT 2004

Thanks for your help Rob, but please reply to the list so that others can be
helped.

> Even though it might not look like it is so, your profiles are likely
> only being stored locally.

As I stated before, the profiles are saved to the server, but each client I
login to using the same user, has a different profile which is saved to the
same location.  For instance:

If user A logins into machine A and creates a folder A then logs out, folder
A is saved on the server, when user A logs back in to machine A he sees
folder A on his desktop

Now if user A logs into machine B he sees a blank desktop if he creates a
folder B and logs out on the server I can see both folders A and B, but the
user can only see folders that were created on the machine he logged into.

In addition the home directory is only available to the user on the machine
which he first logged into.

> In our case, I have a dmusers group that each user is a member of and
> the dmusers group has rw rights to the profiles directory on the server.
>
> What Windows does is store the profile on the local machine and will
> update the 'roaming profile' on the server, if applicable. You might not
> be seeing or receiving an error message stating that they aren't able to
> update/upload the profile to the server.

Correct there are no errors on login from the client, but the profile is
being saved it just isn't moving.

> Check in your Windows Event viewer to see if there are any message
> stating that.

There is one prevalent msg here, I'm not sure what it means, but here it is:
"Windows has detected that Offline Caching is enabled on the roaming profile
share - to avoid potential profile corruption, Offline file caching must be
disabled on shares where roaming profiles are stored"

While that means good I don't have any offline file caching active on the
shares, and I highly doubt this is the reason for my problem.

>  I would also check permissions on the 'profiles' directory. It might
> need a decent alteration of the existing permissions to allow the
> profiles to be updated.

The permsions appear to be correct, and files are being updated at that
location.

Any other ideas?

Miles