[Samba] Users can't change their passwords

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 7 16:40:59 GMT 2004

Mario Gamito wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a smoothly running Samba PDC.
>Just one thing that isn't working: when users try to change their
>password in their windows 2000 machines, they get an error saying: "The
>domain NETUAL is not available", but it is !!!
>I even set 777 permissions on /etc/shadow (shame on me) just to test,
>but nothing.
>
>Curious thing is that i'm running a RH package 3.0.2
>
>If i compile 3.0.4, they can change their passwors.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

This stinks of the 'MS update breaks password changing' issue that was
fixed somewhere in the versions you are testing, that is it was broken
in 3.0.2 and fixed in either .3 or .4.

Since you know a newer version works, why not just go with it?  Given
the bug fixes and such there is really no good reason to hang on to .2.
I believe there are instructions for building a rpm from the source
distribution if you are trying to keep your rpm based system sane
(always a good idea).

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254