[Samba] Help with long PC names and AIX

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Jul 7 14:52:58 GMT 2004

lars at thornwood.com wrote:

>OK I am new to Samba.
>
>I need a solution for a problem of long PC names and short AIX names.
>
>I cannot get a windows 98 PC connected to an AIX Samba server, I think
>because the PC name is too long.  AIX allows only a maximum of 8
>characters in a user name.  My PC name is "ghostraider" and I cannot
>create a user named ghostraider in the AIX system.  So when I try to
>connect, I get a Samba error telling me user ghostraider not found.
>
>How do I work around this issue?

This is a 'feature' of AIX from what I can gather from a quick search of
the web, and there doesn't seem to be any workaround for it.  You may
have better luck asking an AIX group about that particular issue.  It
actually appears that UNIX in general used to have an 8 char user limit.

 The quick solution is to shorten your pc names of course ;)

--
Paul Gienger                     Office:		701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.         Cell:			701-306-6254