[Samba] Bug 975

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at umdnj.edu
Wed Jul 7 14:12:56 GMT 2004

This is a REALLY simple bug to fix, but I'm not sure of the best way to go
about it or I would have written a patch already. The basic problem is
that throughout the code, $(CC) is run with one of the arguments being
$(DYNEXP). This is fine. However, in two places (one at 965 of Makefile.in
where libsmbclient gets linked, and one at 1201 where pam_smbpass gets
linked), $(DYNEXP) is used as an argument to $(SHLD) which explodes on
HP-UX, because the value of $(DYNEXP) is -Wl,-E (and -Wl means "pass to
linker," which doesn't work if you are giving this as an argument directly
to the linker).

Like I said, can't think of the best way to fix this. One way seems like
an awful lot of work (making $(DYNEXP) -E and placing -Wl before it
anytime it is needed) but seems the most correct. However I have no idea
what that would do to the rest of the operating systems. Another way would
be to have a different $(DYNEXP) just for the linker. Another would be to
remove it altogether as things seem to build either way.

I really don't know, but I do know it's a very irritating bug and very
easy to fix.

Thanks!

|Y#| |  | |\/| |  \ |\ |  |  | Ryan Novosielski - Jr. UNIX Systems Admin
|$&| |__| |  | |__/ | \| _|  | novosirj at umdnj.edu - 973/972.0922 (2-0922)
\__/ Univ. of Med. and Dent. | IST/ACS - NJMS Medical Science Bldg - C630