[Samba] printer preferences not settable using samba print driver

Mark Maas mark at menem.mine.nu
Wed Jul 7 07:49:29 GMT 2004

Mike F. Cavanaugh wrote:

> We're putting together a Linux-cups-samba print server for Windows
> clients. A dozen print drivers have been loaded and used successfully on
> the Windows clients from the samba server. But, one particular printer
> is causing trouble: a Xerox DC 2240. When a windows client tries to open
> the printer preferences, after connecting to the printer on the samba
> print server, a popup says "operation could not be completed".  Has
> anyone seen this behaviour before? I'm guessing that its somehow related
> to this printer's PPD file. When this printer's driver is loaded
> straight onto a windows client or from a Windows print server there is
> no problem.

Yes it is a known problem with the current CUPS windows print
drivers (you probably used them for use with point-n-print features
of samba?)

Also see:
<http://www.cups.org/str.php?L447+P0+S0+C0+I0+E0+Qgeneral+protection>
and:
<http://www.cups.org/str.php?L591+P0+S0+C0+I0+E0+Qgeneral+protection>

It's a CUPS thing...

What I did was try different PPD's every time rerunning the
cupsaddsmb, and reinstalling the driver on the windows machines
every time again (yes, very lengthy process) until it crashed no more.

No resolution otherwise, perhaps in the future when CUPS matures more.

Later,
Mark