[Samba] Re: ACCESS DENIED when trying to log into domain

Ken Miller klm at shetlandsoftware.com
Wed Jul 7 03:28:20 GMT 2004

Michael Lueck wrote:

> Ken Miller wrote:
>
>>  However, when I try and connect to the domain, I get an 'Access
>> Denied' message after entering my userid and password.
>

> What client OS? If NT/2K/XPPro have you joined it to the domain
> successfully?

D'Oh!  XP Pro.

How do you join it to the domain?  If you do that by altering the
properties of 'My Computer', then yes, I have.  If I change the domain
to something other than SHETLAND, then I get an error about being unable
to find the domain.  I can also watch the log files on the PDC and see
traffic.

> You need a user ID on the Samba box set up as a Domain Admin to use to
> join these OS's to your domain.

Ok, I'm missing something pretty fundamental here then, as I have not
done that.

> I assume you are using a smbpasswd back end, you did add the user ID
> to that database?

Yes, and yes.  I've also added the name of the computer trying to
connect to the domain to both /etc/passwd and smbpasswd (as a machine).

> Some of the text within my ramblings to this list on net groupmap
> apply to the topic of creating a domain admin account. You might read
> through the small office example URL on the Samba web site I posted in
> that thread as well. Sounds like what you are up to is what that
> describes.

I'll dig it up and give it a read.  Many thanks.

    -klm.