[Samba] Re: Q about net groupmap examples on samba.org

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Wed Jul 7 01:50:05 GMT 2004

One more piece of data on this... Various messages were talking about ifmember.exe so I tracked it down. Thankfully it dumps out the effective group memberships for the id logged in. I find the
following for the various groups I have created...

ntadmin
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\pianoman.
User is a member of group \Everyone.
User is a member of group BUILTIN\Users.
User is a member of group BUILTIN\Administrators.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users.
User is a member of group \LOCAL.
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\ntadmins.

ntpwrusr
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\pianoman.
User is a member of group \Everyone.
User is a member of group BUILTIN\Users.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users.
User is a member of group \LOCAL.

ntusers
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\pianoman.
User is a member of group \Everyone.
User is a member of group BUILTIN\Users.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users.
User is a member of group \LOCAL.
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\ntusers.

ntguests
User is a member of group LDS-SMB\pianoman.
User is a member of group \Everyone.
User is a member of group BUILTIN\Users.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE.
User is a member of group NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users.
User is a member of group \LOCAL.

Thus, the Win2K client is not mapping the Power User and Guests groups correctly but the others it is, and they were all created using the same mehtods as I outlined previously.

Checking the Advanced user/group GUI manager on the client, all localgroups look correct as in having the correct domain / global group as a member.

"net user pianoman /domain" looks correct at all levels shown above, yet for the two levels it just "DON'T" click!

When did Samba become Rocket Science?

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems