[Samba] Windows XP Home problems

Sean Hendricks sharaya at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 7 01:06:22 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I looked through the archives to see if this problem had come up before,
but I didn't find anything similar.  But, I apologize ahead of time if
this has been dealt with already.

I'm running Samba 2.2.7a on Fedora Core 1 and I'm attempting to network
with a Windows XP Home computer.  The following is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = Mxxxx
        netbios name = Kxxxx
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        wins support = yes
[test]
        comment = for testing only
        path = /usr/local/test
        read only = no

[homes]
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes
        valid users = dxxxx

I can connect to the Windows XP machine from the Linux machine quite
easily, and I'm sharing a printer with it.  However, the problem comes
when I try to go the opposite direction, and attempt to connect to my
Linux machine from the Windows XP machine.  Going to My Network Places
>> View Workgroup Computers, I can see an appropriately labeled icon for
the Linux machine.  However, when I try to access it, I get the
following error message:

\\Kxxxx is not accessible.  You might not have permission to use the
network resource.  Contact the administrator of the server to find out
if you have access permissions.  The network path was not found.

I have checked the username and password used on the XP machine and
ensured that that username and password are valid for the Linux machine
and that they are in smbpasswd.  But, no dice.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated, as it's quite
frustrating.  Why would I be able to access the XP machine, but not the
other way around?

Sean