[Samba] Help with long PC names and AIX

lars at thornwood.com lars at thornwood.com
Tue Jul 6 20:59:36 GMT 2004

OK I am new to Samba.

I need a solution for a problem of long PC names and short AIX names.

I cannot get a windows 98 PC connected to an AIX Samba server, I think
because the PC name is too long.  AIX allows only a maximum of 8
characters in a user name.  My PC name is "ghostraider" and I cannot
create a user named ghostraider in the AIX system.  So when I try to
connect, I get a Samba error telling me user ghostraider not found.

How do I work around this issue?

Thanks !!!
Larry S. Singleton
lars at thornwood.com
Systems Analyst
E-Mail Administrator/Webmaster/"Guru in Training"
Thornwood Furniture Mfg., Inc.
"Remember.....The best team does NOT always win"
"PLEASE WEAR YOUR SEATBELT AND BUCKLE YOUR KIDS IN EVERYTIME !!!!"
disclaimer:  Views expressed in this signature are the PROUD and sole
responsibility of the sender and not his employer.