[Samba] Problems with Samba 3.0.5 - Domain Groups acting funny

Matthew Koster MKoster at intldata.ca
Tue Jul 6 20:45:27 GMT 2004

Ok, seems to be a problem with the groups, and its not relly limited to
3.0.5, it happened with 3.0.2a as well.

Here are the deets...

Mandrake 10
Samba 3.0.5

Add Machine Script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g machines -c Machine -d
/dev/null -s /bin/false -M %u

Symtoms and background

Username: mkoster
Machine name: matt-idc
Domain Groups: Sales, Finance, Marketing, Service
Login script using ifmember statements to map drives depending on group
membership
Domain name: INTLDATA

WHen I add my computer to the domain, it adds a samba user called matt-idc$
When I log on as mkoster from matt-idc$ I get the following groups relevant
to the situation

\INTLDATA\mkoster
\INTLDATA\Sales
\INTLDATA\Finance
\INTLDATA\Marketing
\INTLDATA\matt-idc$

Now I get the relevance mappings, I get the Sales, Finance, and Marketing
folders mapped, however the Service folder is not being mapped because for
some reaon my computer name became a Group, but neither the Samba Group
list, not the machin group list have matt-idc listed as a group.

I originaly though this was caused by uid and gid, since both Service and
matt-idc had the number 502 (matt-idc had uid 502, Service had gid 502)
However I changed all the special groupd to gid 1000+ and I am still getting
this problem.  Now it it not directly pertaining to Service either, basicaly
when I switch things around, matt-idc$ will replace one of the 4 groups, if
I only become a member of one group, it replaces it, if I become a member of
2 it replaces one of them.  I can;t seem to fix ti at all.  Anyone ever had
this problem?

Matthew Koster
Customer Support Technician
International Datacasting Corporation
http://www.intldata.ca
613-596-4120 ext 254

This message, and the documents attached hereto, is intended only for the
addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information.  Any
unauthorized disclosure is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately so that we may correct our
internal records.  Please then delete the original message.  Thank you.