[Samba] destroyed files using shares on nfs-mounted filesystem

Klaus Renner klaus.c.j.renner at web.de
Tue Jul 6 16:09:37 GMT 2004

Hallo,

we are using samba V.3.0.2a  on Linux 2.4.18
Previous Versions of samba showed the same effect.

The linux-box has mounted nfs-shares from solaris SunOS 5.8

This nfs-connection is a WAN-connection, that has limited bandwidth(some Megabit/second).  When connection is slow, then  it happened often that saving a file to this share is disturbed. Sometime it simply hangs, sometime an error "device is full" (Gigabytes free) or "device IO - error" occures.
Sometimes, and this is really bad, it silently cuts some blocks out of the file.
So, for example, my sourcefile seems OK from line 1 to the middle of line 183, then after the gap it continues with text from line 370 to the end.
Another example is: The file saved has 8 kilobytes lowvalues at the beginning and then it continues with parts of my saved text.
The only hint I found was inconsistence with oplocks. Every spoilt file was used by only one person this day. So I don't belive , that oplocks are the problem.
Beeing sure, I defined
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No
for this shares, but it does not help.

Has anyone else used samba this way sharing nfs-shares to windows?
Any problems?
I used this combination for 3 years with different  versions of samba on reliant-unix with nfs over WAN from a second reliant-unix box and it worked well without errors, but sometimes slow.

How can I find it out, wheter the problem is in linux or in solaris or in samba or elsewhere??

Using the nfs-shares directly from linux  with cp seems to work, sometimes fast, sometimes slow.  So it seems to be the combination samba and nfs.

Perhaps statistics helps to understand, what happens.
Output from /usr/sbin/nfsstat on linux-side:
Client rpc stats:
calls      retrans    authrefrsh
2776963    6929       0
Client nfs v3:
null       getattr    setattr    lookup     access     readlink
0       0% 2174692 78% 1922    0% 211235  7% 625     0% 87      0%
read       write      create     mkdir      symlink    mknod
153630  5% 36875   1% 709     0% 26      0% 0       0% 0       0%
remove     rmdir      rename     link       readdir    readdirplus
6729    0% 144     0% 350     0% 0       0% 1879    0% 165178  5%
fsstat     fsinfo     pathconf   commit
6002    0% 8       0% 0       0% 16872   0%

thank you for your help in advance!

Klaus