[Samba] bug in parsing the 'username map' in 3.0.5pre1

Davide Bolcioni dbolcioni at 3di.it
Tue Jul 6 13:38:58 GMT 2004

christoph.beyer at desy.de wrote:
> Hi Jerry et al,
>
> the parsing of the 'username map' file seems to be broken in 3.0.5pre1 and
> a few earlier releases. The '!' at the beginning of a line is ignored.
> Something like
>
> !lp = lp
> !chbeyer = chbeyer
> !guest = guest
> nobody = *

You might be facing Samba Bug #1297, where the problem is that the
username map is unexpectedly consulted twice. The bug discussion also
includes a band-aid which worked for me, e.g. having in smbusers

   !unixuser = ntuser
   !unixuser = NTDOMAIN/unixuser

helps me to map ntuser into unixuser (in my case unixuser does not
exist as domain user; I guess the point would be moot otherwise).
You might have to put the two lines directly as shown, i.e. one
after another with nothing in between.

Hope this helps,
Davide Bolcioni
--