[Samba] Moving Profiles

Hamish captainmish at gmx.net
Tue Jul 6 09:02:31 GMT 2004

I guess there are not too many users to move over? (also that you are
using win2k/xp) There is a way to move the profiles *after* they have
been joined to the PDC.
Log in to the machine with the new username, this will create a new
profile, log out immediately. Log in as an admin account (but not the
"addministrator" that the users were using) Right click my computer >
properties > advanced > user profiles > settings. Select the old account
and click copy to.. choose the new user folder in documents and settings
(this will warn that there is alreadyy a profile there and it will be
cleared > just ok it. The last bit to do is change permission to use (or
something very similar) change this to the new username (make sure you
put it in the format DOMAIN\user) - this will copy the profile
flawlessly to the new user, a bit slow if there are a number of them,
but less than 5 or so and its a good fix.
Hope that helps,