[Samba] MYOB guru in the house?

mwestern at sola.com.au mwestern at sola.com.au
Tue Jul 6 06:16:09 GMT 2004

Hi All,

We have just moved a client from winblows 2000 to samba server and they are
having some teething problems with MYOB Premier version 7.5 and speed of
access.

They swear and declare that exaclty the same server box is slower running
samba 3.0.3 (fedora core 2) than winblows 2000 server file sharing.   It's
definintly just samba because everything else is running sweet (with the
exception of secondcopy2000 doesn't work at all with samba, but that's
because it's crap software).

I noticed advice from John Terpstra a while ago about the oplocks because of
the sucky way MYOB does it's file locking.     Also some posts back about 2
years ago about some registry settings for win9x which doesn't apply because
I have winXP pro and one win2000 pro.

Also, the guy is saying something about the different machines can't send
'messages' to one another?

-------------------------
The operation of premier on the tile server is creating more MYOB premier
file problems
We are getting messages communicating to a particular user is not possible
Other messages asking the user to retry recording or printing the
transaction
Repeating the message for a number of minutes before recording
I guess that means we have to use the old server for file sharing MYOB
Premier?
I cant believe that it can be that bad compared to the old server1 with
win2k installed??
---------------------------

Testparm shows:
[global]
        workgroup = CERAMICA
        server string = Tile
        security = SHARE
        guest account = pcguest
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        printer admin = root, +ntadmin, mwestern, user
        hosts allow = 10.0.2.0/24, 127.

[data]
        path = /data
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No

Gotta love these big companies (here in australia they are well used) that
just say 'sorry we don't support linux' or some such crapola reponse because
they have a monopoly on the market, or at least the major market stake...

Keep it up guys.    OSS will win out...

Regards
Matthew