[Samba] Re: DNS->Wins proxy? - Email found in subject

Boles, Jason jBoles at engr.pitt.edu
Mon Jul 5 16:25:39 GMT 2004

If you have winbind running on the client machine(s), you can have that
query the wins server before the dns by changing your /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts line to the following:

hosts: files wins dns

(will check /etc/hosts, then the wins server as configured in smb.conf,
then the dns server as configured in resolv.conf)

I'm not sure if samba acting as a wins server will do dynamic host
updates to the DNS A records (this is what Windows 200* server does when
running both WINS and DNS).  This would allow you to just run a DNS
server on the same linux proxy, and not have to configure winbind on the
non-windows clients.

I don't see any way to tell winbind to use the WINS server which can be
specified as a DHCP parameter.  Does anyone know a way to do this ?

-Jason