[Samba] FoxPro on Samba share

Nikola Vanevski nino at postbank.com.mk
Mon Jul 5 09:29:20 GMT 2004

Ok, I'm sure you've answered this more then once, but still here it is :
I have a FoxPro 2.0 for Lan application that used to run on DOS boxes
connected to a Novell server (and of course with Novel client). Both
FoxPro .exe, .prg and database/index files reside on the shared disk,
and the client only maps a shared drive and starts the FoxPro
application from there. Due to some licensing issues, I have decided to
move the application on a Linux server with Samba shared drive and
connect the DOS machines using the Microsoft Network Client 3.0 (disks
generated by NT4 server). Here are the problems I encountered :

1. FoxPro executable (FOXL.EXE) would not start - it would hang on the
introduction screen. It would, however, start from the local disk and
open the database filed residing on the shared drive - albeit slow. I
have turned off the strict locking and turned on the oplocks, but it
didn't help. What helped was turning the locks off completely  - FoxPro
then started to run from the network disk. What happened next is very
interesting - I turned locks on back again and restarted smbd, and Fox
continued to run! This seems to have solved the problem with running the
executable itself, but I don't know if I should think of it as solved.
Any further suggestions on this?

2. Allthough file name handling is set to "case insensitive",
FoxPro+Samba combination seems to intruduce some case sensitivity - for
example, "compile *.prg" behaves differently from "compile *.PRG" - the
former say that files are not found, but the latter compiles them
without errors. Any suggestions on this too?

3. And, as always, the speed problem. Inserting records into a DBF
database via the FoxPro application is painfully slow - more then one
second per record. I have seen various client tuning tips, but most of
them were using Windows registry - none covered DOS networking client.
Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance !!

Nino