[Samba] WindowsXP connecting to Samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Jul 3 00:25:24 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 10:17, Eric Gingell wrote:
> I'm trying to map a Samba server to my Windows XP machine... it worked
> for the longest time, then suddenly it stopped working. I sent a support
> query to my host and they suggested that my ISP may be blocking Samba
> access. Is there any way around this? (keep in mind, I have no
> administrative access to my Samba server.) I've been searching and
> searching to no avail.

This is an intentional (and sensible) move by your ISP, for the
protection of all their customers, and in particular for your
protection, as a WinXP user.

Sensible ISPs will block TCP ports 135, 139 and 445, to avoid the spread
of a number of windows worms.

If you wish to use Samba across the internet, then you should setup a
VPN between your internal network and the remote Samba server.

Unfortunately you will just need to deal with whoever administers your
Samba server to arrange this.

Andrew Bartlett