[Samba] Samba NFS Fedora Core 2 and Software Raid -- Ext3 fs got corrupted???

Terry Bowling terry.bowling at verizon.com
Fri Jul 2 18:13:07 GMT 2004

I'm running:
Fedora Core 2 (2.6.6.1-435)
Samba 3.0.3-5

My shared (raid1 mirror) data directory is:
/dev/md3  (hda6,hdc6)  mounted as Ext3  to /sites

This is shared to 300 users as an nfs mount point to their Digital Unix
workstations as well as a Samba share to their W2k PC's.

My users just reported a bunch of read only error messages.  Turns out, it
corrupted the file system.  It said it had no errors and when I did an "mdadm
--details /dev/md3"  it said the raid devices were clean.  But the filesystem
was read only even for root.  I finally gave up and rebooted and it said the
filesystem was corrupted and I would have to run fsck manually.  Are there any
issues where Samba has been know to corrupt a filesystem?

The /sites mount point has multiple state directories.  THE ONLY THING I changed
yesterday was to add a new Read Only share for directory /sites/pa.  I added
this to the smb.conf file and did not restart samba because I thought it would
auto detect it.  Is the fact that I am sharing the same directory via two
different shares with different write permissions a problem?  Could this have
caused file corruption?

Here's the snippet of shares from my smb.conf:
[sites]
   comment = Sites Server
   path = /sites
   valid users = common