[Samba] logon problems

Scott Mayo sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Jul 2 16:23:51 GMT 2004

I am really not sure if this is a samba problem or what, but is starting
to annoy me.  Here is what is happening.

Server 1:  Squid,squidguard,dansguardian,iptables (This is firewall/filter)
Server2:  Samba (used for file storage and squid authentification)
Clients are Windows 98.  A few XP's.

Everything has run fine for almost 2 years.  The other day when trying
to log on to the internet, it would wait about 20 seconds and return me
to my logon prompt.  This was for almost every user.  I have one generic
user that got on all the time.  Another user started getting on after
about 5 tries and was then able to authenticate each time.  The rest
still did not authenticate.

When I do:
smb_auth -W DOMAIN -p sambasip -d
it makes it to the last and gives an ERR when giving the contents of
//server/netlogon/proxyauth.  All the rights are correct and it contains
the word allow, nothing has changed this for 2 years so it should be
correct.

When I do:
echo "more proxyauth" | smbclient //server/netlogon -U user
It gives me the contents of proxyauth fine.

I have also noticed that logons start to slow down during the day.
First thing in the morning they are fast, but then a little later it
will take about 25 seconds before running my logon scripts. School is
out, so there are only about 5 people actually here, so it is not
bogging down the network.  I ran a sniffer and all the traffic looks
alright.  My authentification will work for a while and then later in
the day, it will stop again.  I take authentification out of squid and
then everything gets on the net fine.

I thought that maybe it was a network problem.  So I put 1 WS and the
Samba server on a hub by themselves and it is still slow to logon.  I
thought that maybe it was the NIC, but I realized that SSHing into my
firewall has slowed down also.  So this makes me wonder exactly what is
going on.  If anyone has any ideas of what to look at, I would greatly
appreciate any advice.
--
Scott Mayo
Technology Coordinator

WindowS
     LinUX!

Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it
holds the universe together.