[Samba] .eml files rejected by samba

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jul 2 02:15:20 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 02:08, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Laurie Strydom wrote:
>
> >I have some weirdness here which I have no idea how to resolve. I have
> >been runing samba for the las two years on a suse 8.2 box with no
> >problem at all. Last week I had a file system failure and was forced to
> >rebuild. Rebuilt using SuSE 9.1 and SAMBA 2.28
> >When I started restoring data, I noticed that all files with .eml
> >extensions could not be written to disk.!?!? As an experriment, i
> >changed the extension to .bml and voila, no prob.
> >User called me today with exactly that complaint. Trying to save email
> >in his home dir and samba won't accept .eml file extensions.
> >
> >I can copy .eml from dir to dir on Linux but not when using samba.
> >Possible bug???
>
> No, default value of veto_files includes *.eml. This bit me as well -
> in our case we couldn't figure out why we couldn't copy riched20.dll
> to the server.

The default value (in current SVN, but I've never seen a change to this)
does no such thing.

Perhaps your vendor-supplied configuration has such a value explicitly
specified, but samba.org's default is for no veto files.

That said, the advise a few years ago was to set these values as veto
files, to avoid some particular windows virus.

Andrew Bartlett