[Samba] Folders on Mapped Drives being re-arranged and Deleted.

konrad at lifespanfp.com.au konrad at lifespanfp.com.au
Fri Jul 2 00:01:00 GMT 2004

HI,
I have encountered the following problem on my Samba server,
Folders are repeatedly being re-arranged (or lost) by the system
in heavily used areas. This is happening too regularly to be user error.
the following has been observed
1) Files are disappearing when a user attempts to open them
2) A flat hierarchy
Folder
  |Subforlder
  |Subfolder
  |Subfolder
is being transformed into a nested hierarchy
Folder
  \Subfolder
       \SubFolder
              \Subfolder

Entire folders are also disappearing.
I am running
Samba 2,27 as an NT Primary Domain controller.
On Mandrake Linux kernel version 2.4.21.0.13 (enterprise)
on an Resir  File System (on top of Hardware Raid 5)
A Nightly corn job backs up the system via RSync.
The problem has been increasing in frequence, recently,
Even though there have been no configuration changes
and the system load has not increased.
Kind Regards
Konrad.