[Samba] 3.0.4: smbd's + nscd's = 100% CPU; load > 4

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Thu Jul 1 13:58:27 GMT 2004

Hi Everyone,

the new 3.0.4 Samba installation seems to work find
except that from time to time but at least a couple
of times a day one or more smbd processes start
running at 20%-40% CPU each and 6 nscd processes
then share the remaining CPU power. System 70%-80%
users the rest 20%-30%. Load rises fast to over 4.

I'm sure that each such process is just idling,
but why does it engage so much nscd processing?

As soon as I kill the excessive smbd process(es)
the situation drops to normal, i.e. load < 0,1
no perceptible CPU%.

Does anyone know what's happening?