[Samba] XP Point and Print not working Kyocera FS-3830N

Alex Satrapa alex.satrapa at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 07:27:07 GMT 2004

I'm a little disappointed with this printer. Technically, it seems
fine. Printing from Mac OS X and Linux is effortless - Mac OS X prints
through Samba -> CUPS or even direct to CUPS.

But Windows... aarrgh!

I've gone through the process of setting up the Point and Print
drivers, but I can never get the Windows XP client to believe that it's
actually installed the drivers. Every time I right-click the printer in
the local machine's Printers and Faxes control panel, I'm told that the
printer driver isn't installed.

If I install from a copy of the drivers on the Samba server or on CD
(picking the printer by browsing to it), it works fine.

I can't even get to the part in the documentation about setting device
modes, because the XP machine continually insists that the drivers
haven't been installed properly. I've gone through a successful install
from CD, printing out the test page - even when all of the files listed
on this page are present on the Samba server (as installed by the APW),
I can't get the XP client to completely install the printer.

Has anyone else successfully set up point and print for the Kyocera
FS-3830N on Samba Version 3.0.2a-Debian?

Are there any traps I have likely fallen into from following the
procedure at
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/printing.html#id2551679 ?

Hope someone can help :)
Alex Satrapa