[Samba] using VSS on a samba server - no smb locks ?

Nir Livni nir.livni at cyber-ark.com
Fri Jan 30 13:08:21 GMT 2004

Hi all,

We are considering moving our VSS database from a Win2K server to a samba server.
All clients are Win2K clients.

I used the VSS tool "testlock.exe" to make sure the native lock mode can be used.
The test was successful, and I saw that an SMBlock transaction was performed, and a reply_lockingX was replied.

When I opened a VSS database on the samba server and started to use it - I saw no SMBlock operations.

Doesn't make sence to me, because some kind of locking must be done.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Nir