[Samba] WINS, must be master browser?

Tim Smith tims at cqpl.com.au
Fri Jan 30 01:45:19 GMT 2004

i have an NT4 server and a linux samba server. the NT4 server is
currently the WINS server. it works perfectly. i want to ditch it and
use my samba server as the WINS server, however WINS simply does not
work. could this be becuase the WINS server also needs to be the local
master browser?

here is the global section of my smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = laboratory
        os level = 2
        kernel oplocks = No
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        guest account = Nobody
        map to guest = Bad User

in this config samba will not win browser elections. I know the NT4
machine will win all browser elections, it's the only difference i can
think of.