[Samba] domain-membership problem (joinging/logon)

Sebastian Mumm sebastian at mummnet.de
Thu Jan 29 21:15:58 GMT 2004

Hello,

for a long period of time we experienced a serious problem concerning the
domain memberships of some of our workstations. The problem first occurred
with Samba 2.2.8a, which before functioned without any faults. Updating to
version 3.0.2rc1 did not solve the problem which generally consists of the
following points:

- Trying to logon on one of the affected workstations with a domain user leads
to a message saying “The system could not connect to the specified domain
because the machine account is missing or the password for this machine
account is wrong.”

- We are able to join the domain, but the joining process takes an unusual
long time (about 70 seconds) and after the message box saying "Welcome to
domain GYMNORF" appeared and the obligatory reboot was done, we would not be
able to login as a domain user (see above).

-After joining the domain the corresponding smbpasswd-entry for the machine
account looks like this:
"o15w18-2k$:1698:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:[W
          ]:LCT-00000000:" (Machine name: o15w18-2k; X-Characters not manually
inserted, was done by Samba)

The relevant entries from the Level-10-Logfile and the configuration is
available at:
http://www.test.nexxes.de/gymnorf/samba_problem/

The temporal background for this log file is as follows:

Don Jan 22 17:10:21 CET 2004 -> Try to join the domain GYMNORF
Don Jan 22 17:13:20 CET 2004 -> Message box „Welcome to domain GYMNORF“
Don Jan 22 17:17:00 CET 2004 -> Reboot
Don Jan 22 17:18:51 CET 2004 -> Machine rebooted (logon window visible)
Don Jan 22 17:19:18 CET 2004 -> Try to logon as a domain user (message: “The
system could not connect to the specified domain because the machine account
is missing or the password for this machine account is wrong.")

The server (server01) is running Samba 3.0.2rc1 which was configured with the
following command:

./configure \
--prefix=/usr \
--libdir=/usr/lib/samba \
--localstatedir=/var/lib/samba \
--mandir=/usr/share/man \
--sbindir=/usr/sbin \
--with-codepagedir=/usr/share/samba/codepages \
--with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
--with-configdir=/etc/samba \
--with-swatdir=/usr/share/samba/swat \
--with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba \
--with-lockdir=/var/lib/samba \
--with-automount \
--with-smbmount \
--with-smbwrapper \
--with-piddir=/var/run/samba \
--with-pam \
--with-pam_smbpass \
--with-syslog \
--with-quotas \
--with-utmp \
--with-msdfs \
--with-vfs \
--with-libsmbclient \
--with-acl-support \
--with-winbind \
--with-winbind-auth-challenge \
--with-winbind-ldap-hack \
--with-expsam=mysql \
--with-sys-quotas \
--with-sgml-share=/usr/share/samba

Compiling and installing succeeded without any sign of failure.

After comprehensive tests with various client configurations we are sure, that
the problem does not originate in the clients but in the server.

We have tried everything we could imagine to fix the problem, but the problem
still exists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sebastian Mumm, Widdenhofstr.15, 41470 Neuss, Germany
sebastian at mummnet.de