[Samba] Change passwords

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Thu Jan 29 13:02:56 GMT 2004

> > > Is it possible to enable a Windows XP SP1 user to change his
> > > domain password
> > > on the Samba server via the standard Windows way by pressing ctrl-alt-
> > del
> > > and choose Change Password?
> > >
> > > Samba is 2.2.5 SuSE
> > >
> > > Anders Norrbring
> >
> > Yup.
> >
> > In [global] you want:
> >
> > You need to set the correct values for:
> >
> > passwd program (= /path/to/passwd %u)
> > passwd chat (distro dependant - something like this though:
> passwd chat =
> > *new*password* %n\\n*new*password* %n\\n *changed*)
> > unix password sync (= yes)
> >
> > You could also use PAM:
> >
> > PAM password change = yes
> >
> > and delete the "passwd program" parameter.
> >
> > The password chat is distro dependant - because it is based on what
> > happens
> > if you type passwd <user> as root.
> >
> > try typing man smb.conf - its suprisingly useful!
> >
> > http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html#PASSWDPROGRAM
> >
> > Chris
>

> I've tried and tried.. So, finally I set the log level to debug and this
> shows up, nothing else, when I try to change passwords:
>
> [2004/01/29 12:17:31, 0] lib/util_sec.c:assert_gid(114)
>   Failed to set gid privileges to (0,65533) now set to (0,-1)
> uid=(0,65534)
> [2004/01/29 12:17:31, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1094)
>   PANIC: failed to set gid
>

> I don't have a clue to where I should start looking..

Set passwd chat debug to yes - this will log any passwd stuff into smbd.log
at level 100.

See what the output is when you change the passwd of a user.

Looking on google finds this as passwd chat scripts:

*new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*

It may or may not work. Write down exactly what is diplayed on screen when
you change passwd for a user (as root). Then post that here.

Chris

believed to be clean.