[Samba] Samba to copy Linux to windows 2000

Seth Russell sethr at ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 28 18:05:27 GMT 2004

Alex,

It is very simple.

Assuming that you have installed the appropriate samba packages (the
samba-client packages), and that you have properly created a share on
the windows machine, just run the command:

mount -t smbfs -o username=foo //WinServer/share ./smbdir/

This typically will have to be run as root.

You can then read and write to the mounted directory just like any other
normal local directory.

If you don't have root access, run:

smbclient //WinServer/share -U foo

You can then put and get files similar to command line ftp.

seth